One time, my office holiday party, which I lovingly referred to as "forced family fun," turned out better than I expected. For that day only, the entire office turned into a mini-golf course, with each department hosting their own unique hole and quirky obstacles. My coworkers got into it and got creative, and bonded. Now isn't that what the holidays are all about?
First, you must choose a theme. The theme can be indicative of the atmosphere you want at your party. Choose a holiday movie and set the scene! Or decorate your space to look like with a simple, but splendid winter theme. Maybe you want a dressy black and red affair! Just make sure it's filled with holiday spirit!
Now, the 5 G's...
1. Grub. If it's a more casual atmosphere, have each person bring their favorite holiday baked good. Or host a cookie exchange--each guest brings a dozen cookies and takes home a variety of at least a dozen!
2. Giveaways.Think about drawing for door prizes-everyone loves free stuff. It doesn't have to be big; a bottle of champagne or company T-shirt are just as fun to win as anything.
3. Games & contests. Healthy competition, like my aforementioned mini-golf office experience, is always a good idea. Ugly sweater contest? Gingerbread house making competition? Name that (holiday) tune or (holiday) movie are fun, too!
4. Give back. Have your coworkers band together to collect cans to donate to a local food pantry; better yet, volunteer together! When regular employees or volunteers are traveling for the holidays, places like animal shelters or homeless shelters need extra help.
5. Gift swap. White Elephant exchange, anyone? There are many variations, but the best types involve stealing other's presents. We played a version of this at my old office's holiday party and it would last a couple hours! Add in the holiday fruit punch and beverages and you've got yourself some laughs--and a random gift you never knew you needed!
Oh, and the 6th G---don't be a grinch.
Looking for something specific? Search our site below for more content: