Originally published at HowLifeUnfolds.com 2015 Paper and Packageing Board
Paper is the most recycled material in the U.S. today. And while recovery rates remain high, so too do misconceptions around what you can and cannot put into the recycling bin. The good news? The majority of municipalities are well equipped to handle just about anything. So the next time you pause before hitting the “print” button, or select electronic statements thinking you’re doing the environment a favor, consider that paper and packaging aren’t wasteful when recycled properly.
Embrace the bin; you can recycle more than you think.
What goes into the bin:
· White and colored paper from home, school or the office. Includes writing paper, copy paper, office folders, notebooks, stationary, etc.
· Cereal and dry food boxes, shoe boxes, laundry detergent boxes, etc.
· All mail and envelopes (including those with windows), postcards, greeting cards, coupon packets, etc.
· Boxes used for over-the-counter medicine, cosmetics or perfume; bakery or candy boxes; takeout food containers or beverage cups; pizza and frozen food boxes
· Corrugated cardboard boxes used for packaging or shipping
· Paper shopping bags from retail stores, grocery stores and restaurants
· Magazines and catalogs with glossy paper (no need to remove staples; paper mills today can handle that)
· Newspaper and newspaper inserts
· Juice, milk and aseptic cartons
· Telephone directories (just remove any plastic bags and magnets first)
· Hardcover or softcover books, wrapping paper (including the cardboard tube), old business cards, etc.
1. Every municipality is different. For example, cities across the country have varying guidelines to recycle pizza boxes. In addition to removing non-paper inserts or additional packaging (adhesive coupons, etc.) as well as any food residue, check your local recycling rules to see what other guidelines are in place.
2. Quality does matter. Try to remove all food residues and liquids from paper items before putting them in the bin. Make sure the item is clean and dry. Crumpled paper is still quality paper and goes into the recycling bin!
3. Books typically contain adhesives in their binding. Look online to find programs in your area that will accept old books and recycle them. Some municipalities may require that you remove the spines of hardcover books prior to recycling.
Content sourced from:
AF&PA: Paper Recycles Study (Recycling Resources), 2013
Get hoistin’ the Jolly Roger, ye lily-livered landlubbers.
The change of seasons this week is a time for remembrance and self-reflection, and there’s a holiday nestled into the calendar today marking this pensive transition to autumn. We’re speaking, of course, of Talk Like A Pirate Day.
Why hurl salty insults at your friends and loved ones today like you're a one-eyed raider of the high seas? The intent behind today’s holiday is for young and old alike to enjoy the seafaring dialects that first entered pop culture when "Treasure Island" was published in 1883 and peaked around the time Johnny Depp first appeared in "Pirates of the Caribbean" as Keith Richards’ flamboyant younger brother.
So go ahead and let the child in you swing down from the crow’s nest today and tell your boss he’s a lice-infested bilge rat. Threaten to twist his ears off and tell him he’s not fit to swab your poop deck. It’ll be great. If you’re at a loss for words, try out this Insult-O-Matic translator in Pirate Mode.
"Talk Like A Pirate Day" be celebrated on September 19, 'n would-be buccaneers who'd be tryin' t' natter like a corsair had best learn t' speak th' lingo. If ye reckon that jus' sayin' "arrrr" at th' end o' every utterance will fill yer sails 'n float yer ship, reckon again, landlubber. It'll jus' get ye tossed o'erboard! So don't settle fer bein' an imitation pirate: learn how t' be authentic n' colorful, like a real swashbucklin' scallywag o' th' sea!
For more pirate-y tips, visit http://www.talklikeapirate.com/piratehome.html.
There's always talk about things 'going viral' in today's digital world. Well, do you know what's trending in a big way right here in the real world? Germs! Yup, they are everywhere! But I've got something that will stop them in their tracks and keep you and your workplace healthy everyday and everywhere! It's Purell's ES Everywhere System! You can place this easy to use, easy to access dispenser everywhere you need to de-germify! In high traffic areas, or in places you wouldn’t even think you need it, this handy germ killer has got you covered with just one squirt! Just check out the action!
Here’s everything you need to know about the Everywhere System:
• It features a small footprint and multiple mounting options that allow it to fit spaces where bottles and dispensers aren't ideal.
• Ready-to-install kit with preassembled base and refill cartridge securely attaches to surfaces with Command® strips from 3M.
• An exposed refill container for at-a-glance monitoring of product level and easy servicing.
• Dispenser holds almost twice as much as a standard 8 oz. PURELL pump bottle.
Now all you have to do is use it! With nourishing, skin-conditioning agents that maintain your skin’s health, moisture, and feel while killing germs, you have no excuse. Get one for everywhere you don’t want germs to go viral! Get It NOW!
Do you want to give back to your community or contribute to a worthy cause? TwistOP is joining in the fight for the little warriors of St. Jude Children's Research Hospital this September in light of Childhood Cancer Awareness Month.
There are three ways you can help, too!
1. Join Team Twist on September 20th for the Walk to End Childhood Cancer .
2. Donate online.
3. Spread the movement by using the hashtag #ShowYourGold over social media.
One in 14,583 kids will be diagnosed with cancer this month alone. Whether it's walking, running, volunteering, or contributing financially, you can make a difference.
It’s the most wonderful time of the year…football season! People across the country are glued to their computer screens ensuring good Fantasy team picks. Diehard fans paint their faces and gather in stadiums. Sundays are days of rest and ESPN; friends and family gather together. Unless you’re a Chicago-based Lions fan like me, and have a divided household.
To quote one of my good friends, “It’s like God knows we’re sad summer is ending, so he gave us football season.” In celebration of its glorious return, Twist has some super fun supplies, like Swingline® staplers, Quartet® whiteboards, AT-A-GLANCE® planners and more from top office product brands to spruce up your desk. I mean, your mind is in the game already, so why not glance over to your team themed Post-It note holder and daydream about a SuperBowl win?
New for this season are NFL staplers featuring your favorite team’s colors, name and logo. Plus, get a free NFL Shop gift card with qualifying purchases. Check out our legendary office products and start saving now! (*Certain restrictions apply. Valid only while supplies last. Click on the banner above for a list of qualifying products.)
Looking for something specific? Search our site below for more content: